Make your profile as informative and attractive as possible. You want your profile to draw people in, not push them away. So how do you optimize your profile? Here are some specific recommendations.
- Select an easily identifiable username. Ideally, you want your username to be either your name or the name of your organization. In other words, you don’t want to create a username like TulipGirl997. This comes across as unknowledgeable and won’t set you up for success.
- Use a high-quality profile photo. Whether you’re uploading a picture of yourself or your logo, you want to use a high-quality photo. Ideally, the photo will have been professionally taken or the logo professionally designed.
- Write a compelling “About” section. Your About section is where you tell the story of your organization. It’s where you communicate what you’re all about and what matters most to you. You want your About section to be both compelling and concise. What is it that you do that sets you apart?
- Upload a professional cover photo. Almost every social media platform allows you to upload a cover photo. The cover photo spans the top of your social media profile and sits behind your profile photo. Like your profile photo, you want your cover photo to be as professional as possible. Each platform, however, has different dimensions so it is in your best interest to ask a professional to design one or use an image editing platform to get the job done.
- Enter all your contact information. Remember, you’re trying to grow your organization using social media. This means you want to make it as easy as possible for the potential members to contact you. In the contact section, include as many ways to contact you as possible.
- As you optimize your overall profile, think about how you want to represent yourself and your organization online. Your social media profile will be the first touchpoint for some potential audience members, and it’s critical that your profile feel professional.
As you set out to optimize your profile, please invite us to like and follow your page and we ask that you do the same. That right there is social media networking at its finest. Asking others to like and/or share is one HUGE way to get exposure to your audience.
Coming next in this series: Create A Posting Schedule